Friday 24 July 2009

ECW Curiouser and curiouser

I’ve now almost completed the first stage of the preparation of the one hundred and sixty eight figures before priming and painting starts. The vast majority of cleaning the miniatures up and assembling them, attaching arms, hats, helmets etc. is now almost complete. I was planning on configuring the basing of the mini's when I happened to read a recent review of the Warlord Games ECW infantry in a wargaming magazine (don’t know why as I’d already bought them) which stated that there are actually 42, not the advertised 40, figures per box. Out of curiosity I double checked the contents of the Pike & Shotte range and the review is correct.

Each Command frame consists of three figures; two ‘officers’ and one musician, either a drummer or a fifer.

Each Infantry Frame consists of:
4 x Musketeer firing
4 x Musketeer walking
2 x Pikeman marching
3 x Pikeman charging their pike - the odd number here is the relevant bit!

There are three infantry frames and one command frame giving a grand total of forty two. I realise forty two is an unusual number (also the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, according to Douglas Adams of course) to end up with but why any manufacturer would claim less items per box puzzles me. Especially as there are enough bits and pieces to complete all the figures and, I assume, most people will purchase more than one box. Then again I’m only a humble modeller rather than a wargame miniature manufacturer.

Next blog will hopefully include a few detailed shots of some more modified figures I've been working on, mainly junior officers and commanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment